It is a very curious thing, I think, to Like. What is it? To like? Now I don't mean, just to like something or someone as a simple liking or fancy, but I mean, to Like Like someone. Ah, now you see what I am saying!
Like love, Liking is universal. But I would certainly not give the two the same definition. At first thought, one might say that Liking only flourishes within the youth of the world (i.e. any and all persons ranging roughly within the ages of 12-20). But think again and you'll discover that Liking is everywhere! In all age groups. It is a rare case that a person goes a whole lifetime and avoids Liking someone. It seems hardly possible for one to go even through high school without Liking . . .
So, what IS it, to Like? Is it an emotion? Hormones? A simple attraction? Is it the first seeds of love, or maybe, well, I just can't quite put my finger on it!
We are so funny, us humans. How is it that a boy, let's say, can have so many friends that are girls, and appreciate each one of them. There is not a bad thing he can say about a one of them. They are all wonderful. But there is this one! Oh, boy! Now SHE'S wonderful!!! And all of a sudden, too! And, ah! Now, he Likes her. Does he like her because she's prettier than the other girls? No, because she's not. Maybe because she and him agree on a lot of things? Possibly, but he agrees with the other girls on a lot of things, too. Maybe he Likes her because she says and does things that flatters him; Makes him feel like he's got it all together? Hm.
Does this boy even KNOW this girl that well? No, not too well, but he knows he Likes her. She's just special.
But my question IS, WHAT is that "specialness". How did this boy go from one day thinking she's wonderful and liking her a lot, to, the next day, thinking she's wonderful and Liking her a lot?!
Do you suppose that different people have different definitions of Like? Do certain people make conscious decisions to Like someone while others just "go with the flow" ? Is Liking just a feeling? If so, how is it that so often two people will Like each other? How would they both get the feeling at the same time?
Liking seems to often lead to love, but what about when it doesn't? We all know that it is possible to stop Liking someone, but I'm not so sure it is possible to stop loving someone. Why did God give us this peculiar little thing?
I dunno . . . What do YOU think?
-me
What I think it means to "like" someone is that everyone has a certain list of characteristics which they would like their future mate to possess. For example maybe there's this guy who wants a girl with a sense of humor, who can cook really well, and enjoys music, etc. And so one day he meets a girl who has all of these qualities. So, he starts talking to the girl about those things and a spark between them begins. Theyre both excited that theyve found a new friend who enjoys and agrees with the same things as the other. After a while of getting to know each other feelings begin to develop. And thats when I think the "liking" begins. Love however is a completely different thing! For one its a much strong emotion. And I believe that you can Love someone without "liking" them... This may seem like a confusing point of view, and sometimes I have trouble explaining what I mean lol. I'm trying my best tho.
ReplyDeleteHm, that is very interesting, and yes, I think I understand what you mean! And I think this is where the different definitions of "Like" come in. Some people might "like" someone because of all the things you said, but others might choose to "like" someone because they are pretty, others, because they have cool slang, or whatever. I think it is funny when someone really "likes" someone else and they don't even know why. Where does this "liking" come from, if it is not from some common interest, looks, etc. ?
ReplyDeleteIt must be divine! Mustn't it? I just wonder, though, why God would put it into someone's heart to "Like" someone even if they have no vocation to marry or even date. Could it be an opportunity for learning somehow? To experience some strange and foreign movement of the heart?
This is really very peculiar!
Simply put, I think that "like" is more of a feeling, or only a feeling. You can't force yourself to like someone or something. "Love" on the other hand is an action. It is a feeling as well, but you can choose to love someone without liking them. You can choose to act with love, without feeling it. Does this make sense?
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think you are right, Dominique. Love is most certainly not only an emotion, but rather an action. Liking is not necessarily an action because it is usually involuntary.
ReplyDeleteI would say that Liking is probably a combination of a lot of things; Hormones, attraction, mutual likes and dislikes, etc. Basically, I think for most people, you like someone because of the good feeling you get from being with them, so I would say that Liking is more of a selfish thing, (?) At least is more selfish than love, because Liking is more focused on the good it brings YOU and not the other. But, of course, I think that varies from person to person. Huh.